A growing list of resources to help you figure out how (and when) to show vs. tell:
- Never name emotions
- Use active verbs and action tags
- Prove it!
- Use sensory language and be descriptive
- Avoid telling emotions and motivations
- Know when to tell
- Describe emotions without naming them (and other tips)
- Focus on the mood
- Writing with emotion
- Keep “intruder words” out of your writing
- Show with a strong voice
Karla Valenti writes books about and for children. She also offers professional manuscript critique and editing services. You can find her on Facebook and on Twitter.